Very often, I get asked about how to self-publish books. Because I believe there is enough sun for all of us, I always try to help to the best of my ability with my answers. Sometimes, I make it seem really easy because I’m used to it now but forgive me if my explanations get confusing, a bit challenging, or even technical for you.
Now, for many writers to benefit from self-publishing, I have a compiled list of things you might need to start-up your career and become a published author. Here we go:
- Find a designer for your book covers, website, and creation of your logo (You don’t need a logo or a company if you’re using Amazon’s Createspace.)
- Find a reputable and affordable editor (If your word count is high, try splitting the book in several parts; like a trilogy so that you can afford editing.)
- Sign up with Lightning Source for the print of your paperbacks. CreateSpace doesn’t require a company to self-publish. So, many choose that alternative.
- You will need the exact page number of your book before you can have your designer make you a full book cover. In order to minimize file rejection by print houses, make sure to use/give book cover templates to your designers. Lightning Source and Createspace generate book cover templates for you when you give them the total number of pages your book has. Lightning Source also adds two more pages to that. I don’t know about Createspace’s templates. So for your Lightning Source, if your paperback is 260 pages, you will request a template of 262 pages
- You need to buy ISBNs and a Barcode for your paperbacks. It’s not necessary for eBooks. I buy mine on Bowker
- Create an account there https://www.myidentifiers.com/
- You can design the interior of your books by going on DIYbookformats
- For eBooks publishing, book covers need to fill certain requirements. Just sign up for https://kdp.amazon.com/ . If you already have an amazon account. You can use the same login (You will find details once there on how to upload your titles and format them. You can also access this page by scrolling to the very bottom of Amazon’s page. You will see it listed as Kindle Direct Publishing.) A lot of things are self-explanatory but if you get stuck somewhere, let me know insha’Allah. I’ll help with what I can or refer you to their customer service.
- Make sure to have an account on Author Central if you use Amazon. I get annoyed when writers don’t have an author page. It makes it hard to find you
- Lastly and not least, you need a budget and to promote yourself. Money is important in all this. Invest in your dreams. That is all I’m saying. You may struggle in the first years but see it as your next of kin’s legacy or a long time investment. It can even become sadaqah jariyah for you insha’Allah. For the promoting part, it doesn’t have to be money related. You have to be active on social media to get your name out there. It’s a never ending battle.
Good luck and may Allah make self-publishing mubarak for you, amiin. For taxes information, check the comments insha’Allah.